Saturday, July 14, 2012

Top 5 Performance Cars @ Wheels and Deals

 
Wheels and Deals has seen literally hundreds of thousands of cars throughout its history, making it one of the most successful car lots in the Bay Area for almost 45 years. In that period of time, countless muscle cars, tuners, and touring coupes have been sold using our service. Today, I'll be showing off the top 5 performance vehicles we have in our inventory right now. Not the fastest of all time, but only what we have this very second. That kind of gives you guys an idea of what we see on a daily basis. First, we have a 99' Porsche 911 Carrera equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission, lightweight wheels, and over 12k in upgrades to the driveline. Personally, I'm not a Porsche guy, but there is no denying the incredible power and maneuverability of this beast. Can someone say overpowered go-cart?
The next monster we have is a mostly stock 01' Convertible Mustang Cobra on BBS wheels. Of course it can't be called a performance car with an automatic transmission, and this is no exception. There are no mods to the potent Cobra motor, but there is a fresh set of drilled and slotted brakes, Maximum Motorsports suspension, and custom leather Recaro seats. This is a perfect Santa Cruz car with enough power and handling capability to have some serious fun.
 
 The 2005 Audi S4 was one that I had trouble including on this list, simply because I've always regarded Audi as a luxury brand aimed more towards comfort and a smooth ride, rather than quick lap times. However, this little car has a 4.2L V8 that puts out roughly 340 horses. Because it's AWD and has sport suspension, I think that should be enough to qualify it as a performance car. In fact, I would choose the Audi over all four of the other cars in this line-up because it's such a sleeper. I adore the way it looks from every angle and I would be proud to have it in my garage.
The stock 08' Mustang GT is not particularly special in any way, except it has a big honkin V8 up front. That makes it fun to goof off in, but not much else. What holds it back mainly is the suspension and brake system that Ford slapped on. It seems the owner of this beauty knew exactly what I mean and remedied the situation with a brand new set of H&R coilovers. Not only do they vastly improve the handling, but it looks absolutely fantastic closer to the ground. Not often do I see a new generation Mustang that gives me the chills, but this baby is gorgeous.
Last but certainly not least, is the 2006 Corvette. It's not the Z06, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has over 450 horsepower and weighs in at a measly 3300lbs. It also has upgraded Corsa Exhaust and lightweight magnesium wheels. This is probably the fastest of the five in a straight line, but I think the Porsche could take it around a track. Although it's an automatic, I included it because it is also equipped with paddle shifters, which make it shift faster than a human ever could with a manual transmission.  I suppose it's a sign of the times that manual gearboxes are slowly but surely being pushed out of the picture to be replaced by quicker, more efficient flappy-paddle gearboxes. Oh well, I guess I can't complain if things are improving. I just have a feeling that stick shift cars will be long gone by 2050. Hopefully, I'll be around long enough to find out, but until then, I'll be enjoying every minute in these bad boys while I still can.
 Of the five I included in this list, which would you want to be parked in your driveway? My choice, as you already know, is the 2005 Audi S4; but everybody has different tastes. These cars are all available for viewing and test driving at Wheels and Deals in Santa Clara. Call with any questions @ (408) 246-1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment